- What is a PIN?
- When will a PIN be Required?
- What if I don’t yet have a PIN?
- What if I don’t know my current PIN?
- Can I change my current PIN?
- What if my Library Card has expired?
- Can I obtain my Library Card number over the phone or the Internet?
What is a PIN?
A PIN is your personal identification number and provides additional security when you use your library card either at the library or on the Internet. Your PIN is based on your birth month (01-12) and the last two digits of your birth year (00-99). Examples: January 1988 = PIN 0188, May 2000 = 0500, July 1992 = 0792, October 2004 = 1004 and December 1923 – 1223.
When will a PIN be Required?
A PIN will be required when you wish to:
- Place a hold/reserve on material on-line,
- View your account status and materials checked-out,
- Renew materials on-line,
- Change your current PIN,
- Public Access Computer usage in the Adult Computer Area
What if I don’t yet have a PIN?
Actually, everyone with a valid registered library card already has an assigned PIN. Your original PIN is based on your birth month (01-12) and the last two digits of your birth year (00-99). Examples: January 1988 = PIN 0188, May 2000 = PIN 0500, July 1992 = PIN 0792, October 2004 = PIN 1004 and December 1923 = PIN 1223.
What if I don’t know my current PIN?
If you do not know your current PIN, you may either:
- Have the current PIN sent to you via a valid and current e-mail address that has already been registered at the library, or
- Reset the PIN to a calculated value based upon existing information you provided when you registered for your library card.
Click here to begin the User PIN Recovery procedure.
Can I change my current PIN?
Yes! In order to change your current PIN:
- You must know your current library card number (STDL library card numbers begin with 21257…),
- Your current library card must be valid, and
- You must know your current PIN.
It is recommend that you set your PIN to be 4 numeric characters.
Click here to begin the User PIN Change procedure.
What if my Library Card has expired?
If your library card has expired, please visit the library to have your library card renewed. Users with expired library cards will not be allowed to perform on-line procedures. While renewing your card, please provide a valid e-mail address and confirm an appropriate PIN so you may use the on-line procedures once the card is renewed.
Can I obtain my Library Card number over the phone or the Internet?
No. To assure security, users will be required to visit the library and present two valid forms of identification, one form of ID with a photo, to verify the card-holders identity.