Search the Library Catalog
Search the Library Website
Search the Internet
About Us My Account Contact Us

MINUTES OF THE REGULAR BOARD MEETING

BOARD MEETING
Monday, March 19, 2012
CENTRAL LIBRARY CONFERENCE ROOM
7:00 P.M.

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT
Robert Lyons, President; Nicholas Scipione, Vice-President/Secretary; Robert Frankel, Treasurer; Anita Forte-Scott; Ruth Jonen; Deborah Miller; Julie Wroblewski-Bosshart

BOARD MEMBERS ABSENT
None

STUDENT TRUSTEES PRESENT
Avni Bavishi, Meran Liu

OTHERS PRESENT
Karen Bolick, Melissa Jones, Kathy Morgan, Stephanie Sarnoff, Nelly Somerman

PUBLIC COMMENTS
Karen Bolick asked if her comments about the Elk Grove Village Public Library (EGVPL) should be made at this time or during Unfinished Business portion of the agenda. President Lyons responded that the Board would welcome her comments during Unfinished Business.

BOARD COMMENTS
Trustee Miller commented on several interesting programs she attended at the 2012 Public Library Association (PLA) Conference. Trustee Wroblewski-Bosshart commented that she had attended the Hoffman Estates State-of the-Village breakfast. Trustee Jonen commented that she will send a letter to the Tony Preckwinkle, President of the Cook County Board of Commissioners, describing STDL programs to guide teens in finding summer jobs. Mrs. Jonen thanked the student advisor trustees for their assistance in this effort. Trustee Scipione commented that he had attended the annual School District 54 Intergovernmental Reception at which School Board President Theresa Huber expressed her hope that another entity would host the annual event. He noted that applications for Student Advisor Trustee positions will open on April 1. Trustee Lyons commented on the closing of the Schaumburg Township Teen Spectrum center noting that the Kenneth Young Center will continue to provide social services to teens. Trustee Jonen commented that the banners for the STDL 50th anniversary are on the light poles in the Central library parking lot.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

Trustee Miller moved and Trustee Wroblewski-Bosshart seconded that:

The Minutes of the February 20, 2012 Regular Board Meeting be approved as corrected.

The motion passed unanimously.

ADDITIONS OR CHANGES TO AGENDA
None

DIRECTOR’S REPORT
Director Sarnoff reported that the lobby repair project is moving forward and that work will be completed by late spring. She noted that she, Reiner Musni and Judy Napier attend Teen Center bi-weekly construction meetings. The completion date for that project is now anticipated to be in early September. A staff committee has been formed to plan grand opening events for the Teen Center. A FAQ sheet will be prepared to respond to questions about the Teen Center and the construction process. The bid opening for the Interior Lighting Project will be held on April 4; recommendation for the award of bid will be made at the April Regular Board Meeting. Ms. Sarnoff reported on the meetings of the Wellness Insurance Network (WIN) board, of which she is a member. The board is focusing on containing health insurance costs to member libraries without reducing coverage for staff. The WIN board is reviewing interviewing several options, including merger with an existing library insurance consortium. Ms. Sarnoff reported having received a subpoena from an attorney representing a library user in a family dispute and the matter has been referred to STDL attorney John Juergensmeyer. She reported that the legal process for trade marking the STDL logo continues. She reported that her attendance at the PLA Conference was successful, noting that she had identified an automated dvd/video game dispenser for the Teen Center. She reported that the new adult library cards would soon be in production. She reminded the Board that our joint National Library Day / 50th Anniversary celebration begins at noon on Sunday April 15.

STAFF REPORTS
Youth Services — Melissa Jones, Director of Youth Services, presented a report highlighting both new and ‘old favorite’ activities in the KidsZone. She noted that the Summer Van has been renamed the KidsZone Bookmobile. Mrs. Jones reported that STDL will partner with School District 54 in a recycling event on April 21. In response to overwhelming demand in prior years, STDL will sponsor an additional recycling truck at the event. She noted that KidsZone will present a father/son book discussion this summer. (A mother / daughter book discussion was held last summer to rave reviews.) Mrs. Jones reported that each first grade class in School District 54’s twenty-two schools will be visited by an STDL staff member to introduce youngsters to the importance of having a library card. The schools will require a library card as an item on their school supply lists.

RAILS REPORT
Trustee Forte-Scott reported that nominations for election to the RAILS Board will be accepted until April 6. She noted that the next RAILS Board meeting will be convened on March 23 at the Coal Valley venue and that there will be a video conference update on April 12. She announced that RAILS received the first installment of its fy 2012 Per Capita Grant in the amount of $1, 072,500. Van delivery continues uninterrupted.

COMMITTEE REPORTS
President Lyons asked that Board members bring their calendars to the April 16 Regular Meeting to schedule meetings of the following: Extension Committee (Trustee Forte-Scott, Chair), Facilities and Equipment (Trustee Scipione, Chair), Personnel (Trustee Jonen, Chair), Budget (Trustee Frankel, Chair).

TREASURER’S REPORT
Treasurer Frankel reported that as a result of deferred spending on computer operations and capital projects, STDL will realize a savings of approximately $300,000 in the fy2012. He noted that the Debt Service Fund contains approximately $600,000 as a result of the prudent refinancing the building bond several times during the past 15 years. The Debt Service Fund may be used only for construction or renovation. Mr. Frankel recommended that $600,000 be transferred from the Debt Service Fund to the Building and Special Equipment Special Reserve Fund and be applied to the cost of the Teen Center construction project.

Treasurer Frankel moved that:

The Board approve the transfer of $600,000 from the Debt Service Fund to the Building and Equipment Special Reserve Fund to be used for construction of the Teen Center

Roll Call Vote:

Mrs. Jonen Yes
Mrs. Wroblewski-Bosshart Yes
Mr. Frankel Yes
Mrs. Forte-Scott Yes
Mr. Scipione Yes
Mr. Frankel Yes
Mr. Lyons Yes
Mrs. Miller Yes

The motion passed unanimously.

Trustee Frankel recommended establishing a line item for the Teen Center construction project in the fy 2012 Operating Budget. He recommended allocating $900,000 from the Building and Special Equipment Reserve Fund to this line item.

Treasurer Frankel moved that:

The Board approve the transfer of $1,500,000 from the Building and Equipment Special Reserve Fund to a line item for the Teen Center construction project.

Roll Call Vote:

Mrs. Jonen Yes
Mrs. Wroblewski-Bosshart Yes
Mr. Frankel Yes
Mrs. Forte-Scott Yes
Mr. Scipione Yes
Mr. Frankel Yes
Mr. Lyons Yes
Mrs. Miller Yes

The motion passed unanimously.

STUDENT TRUSTEE REPORTS
Student Trustees Avni Bavishi and Meran Liu reported that the next edition of the Schaumburg High School newspaper will include an article about the Teen Center. Articles will soon appear in the Conant and Hoffman Estates High School newspapers. Director Sarnoff suggested that these articles be included in our 50th Anniversary time capsule. Ms. Liu thanked the KidsZone staff for assisting with Mead Junior High School’s semester-long history project. Approximately 150 students from Mead Junior High School spent two days at STDL with research assistance provided by STDL staff. Ms. Bavishi mentioned that there is great interest in the 2012-2013 student advisor trustee positions.

Trustee Jonen noted that she will inform School District 211 staff about the summer job information resources available at STDL.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS
Trustee Lyons reported that he had listened to audio recordings of recent EGVPL board meetings. He noted that an issue had arisen about the eligibility of STDL residents to serve on the EGVPL Board. The EGVPL Board expressed interest in participating with STDL in a public forum as suggested by Elk Grove Village resident Cory Fusco. Trustee Jonen stated that much thought had been given to the decision to end the agreement between the two libraries and that the STDL Board has a responsibility to be fair to STDL tax payers and therefore the decision was prudent and necessary. She did not perceive the value in such a meeting. Trustee Frankel asked what would be the purpose of another meeting, in view of the fact that the STDL Board will not revisit the issue. Trustee Scipione stated that he would like to advocate for all Elk Grove Village residents who are STDL cardholders to have their access to EGVPL resources and programs reinstated. Trustee Miller commented that she was moved by statements made by Elk Grove Village residents at the STDL February Regular Board Meeting. She hoped that STDL cardholders who live in Elk Grove Village would investigate the many services, programs and resources we have to offer. Trustee Forte-Scott expressed her hope that library privileges not be denied to Elk Grove Village residents. She also recommended that Elk Grove Village residents explore the extraordinary quantity and quality of services provided by their home library, STDL. Trustee Wroblewski-Bosshart stated that bringing boards together might not accomplish much since our decision has been made. She encouraged Elk Grove Village residents to visit our branch libraries. Trustee Lyons concluded that the STDL Board will not participate in a public forum, but individual STDL Trustees are open to speaking with individual members of the EGVPL Board. Melissa Jones, speaking as resident of STDL, stated that, as a taxpayer, she feels that most other taxpayers would not agree to continue paying EGVPL so that only some of our patrons to have two library cards. Trustee Jonen emphasized that the Board advocates for all of the STDL patrons by keeping money in the operating budget to benefit all residents.

NEW BUSINESS
The Village of Hoffman Estates plans to create a Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District at the Barrington Square Shopping Center. All effected governmental jurisdictions were consulted and agreed to the establishment of this TIF.

ADJOURNMENT
8:45 p.m.